Re: Red Apistos

I have a question about sexing the Puerto Narino/Rotpunkt guys (or gals).  I
purchased some about six weeks ago as A. agassizii (which they obviously
weren't) and it took me a little while to figure out their identity.  I have
three individuals: two are ~4.5cm and yellow with black markings (mature or
maturing) and the other is ~3cm and a paler gray color (immature).  The larger
both have black spots by the pectorals, so I assume that they are females.
The dominant larger individual has bolder black markings, including the
anterior ventrals, and a black ventral stripe ending in an anal spot (somewhat
like a female viejeta in the Aqualog book), as well as a slight point to the
dorsal fin.  The other large one is less vividly colored and lacks the ventral
stripe and the pointed dorsal fin.  The smallest fish has a vague pectoral
spot.  Are they all females?  Could the non-dominant larger fish mature into a
male (and lose the pectoral spot), or is this just wishful thinking on my
part.  What about the little one - can the sex be determined at this size?

A follow-up question might be: Is there anyone in the Seattle area that has a
spare male for me?

Lars in Bellingham