FYI - ChiKA Killifish show this weekend in Chicago

- --=_IS_MIME_Boundary

- --=_IS_MIME_Boundary

For those of you cichl-idiots who wish to cross over to the other side =
(Yes, the algae is greener on the other side of the tank), the Chicago =
Killifish Association=27s (ChiKA) annual show is this weekend in Schiller =
Park, IL (near O=27Hare). =20

Everyone is welcome to attend. Send me an email with you name and club =
affiliation (if any) if you think you can attend so I can make a name tag =
for you.

BTW we are also sponsoring a project called Operation Fishdrop.  It=27s an =
effort to help restock our Canadian freinds with fish.  Donations of all =
species (not just killies) will be collected at the show and Jim Robinson, =
President of the Canadian Killifish Association) will take them back north =
of the border for distribution.  More information can be found at our web =
site http://www.aka.org/aka/clubs/clubpages/ChiKA/chika.htm

I=27m sure that I=27m not the only one in the Chicago area that keeps both =
cichlids and killies so I hope to see you there=21

ChiKA 1998 Annual Killifish Show
The dates for ChiKA=27s 1998 annual killifish show are set for the weekend =
of March 28-29 with setup on the Friday, March 27. There are 15 classes =
with 3 awards per class plus two special awards

Featured Speaker
This year=27s show features guest speaker Wim Suijker from Rotterdam (NL). =
Wim will speak about his recent collecting trip to Guyana as well as offer =
his insight on keeping and breeding Rivulus.

Here=27s a little background provided by Wim:=20

=22I started keeping killies about 25 years ago. My first fishes were two =
Goldfishes, which were a wedding present. After a few month I bought my =
first real aquarium. In 1974 I started with keeping killies. First =
Aphyosemion species. On our second show I bought my first Rivulus specie. =
That was Rivulus spec. Martinique. This specie is now described as Rivulus =
cryptocallus. After this one I got and bought several other species.=22

=22At this moment I keep a 25 different species or populations. In 1989 =
we, my wife Yvonne and I, visited Guyana for the first time. After that we =
visited Guyana three times more, in 1991, 1995 and 1997. In 1995 we found =
two undescribed species.=22

Show Classes
New World Non-Annual (ex Rivulus)
Rivulus
New World Annuals
Fundulopanchax (ex Paraphyosemion)
Blue Gularis
Fundulopanchax Paraphyosemion
Aphyosemion Chromaphyosemion
Aphyosemion Archaphyosemion
Aphyosemion Mesoaphyosemion
All Other Aphyosemion
Nothobranchius
Epiplatys
Other African & Eurasian
Matched Breeding Pairs
Stud Male (Ineligible for KHY/BOS)

Special Awards
George Maier Award - Best of Show
Nancy Garcia Award - Best Native

Show Schedule
Friday, March 27
7:00 p.m.Setup

Saturday, March 28
9:00 - Noon  Registration and Benching
Noon - 1:00     Lunch Break
1:00 - 3:00        Wim Suijker on keeping and breeding Rivulus.
3:00 - 5:00        Judging
5:00 - 7:00        Dinner Break
7:00 - 9:00        Wim Suijker on collecting in Guyana
9:00 -                Awards Presentation

Sunday, March 29
9:00 - 10:30     Show Tear Down
10:30 - Noon  Auction Registration & ChiKA Tanks
Noon - 5:00    Auction=21=21=21

Rules & Policies
1.*All mail-in entries will be auctioned. Other entries may be retreived =
after judging.=20
2.Ship mail in entries to arrive no latter than Friday, March 27, 1998 to =
Gerhard Kallus.=20
3.Auction split is 50/50.=20
4.Box sales on Saturday only, please=20

Location
The location for the show is the same as last year=27s at the Days Inn =
O=27Hare, 3801 N. Mannheim Rd., Schiller Park, IL. 60176. (Click here for =
a Yahoo map) Show rates for rooms are =2458.00/room for Single, Double, =
Triple or Quad. The Days Inn phone number is 847-678-0670.
- --=_IS_MIME_Boundary--