breeding established aquarium forms

Kathryn Olson wrote:

> Steph,
>
> That ph is fine for Kribs, they are pretty tolerant of a variety of pH's.
> In one book I even read that kribs can tolerate brackish water.  Have seen them spawn in water up to the high sevens but never experiemented with the ranges.
>
> Now some of the other species of Pelvicachromis require softer water.

I assume that the Kribs will spawn in alkaline water because the ones you saw were domestic--bred several generations removed from the wild.  Most of the other Pelvicachromis species are apt to be much closer to wild-caught, thus less apt to spawn when the water parameters stray
from the fish's habitat.

This tendancy is  characteristic of the Angelfish.  Many now spawn in alkaline water, but I hear that in the 50's/60's it was a very challenging fish to spawn even in "ideal" water.  Furthermore, it has been demonstrated that pairs of Cardinal tetras which were tank raised will
spawn twice as often and have much larger spawns than wild-caught pairs.  So I assume that the species that are raised in farms or by hobbyists are (in general) going to be easier to induce to spawn.

- --Randy