Re: Re: sp. "Opal"?

Evedently you are  mistaken Mr. Melgar, I know of at least 3 importers
that ship all their fish to Japan and Europe. In fact they do no
business in the U.S., they  Import South American fish and then Export
them over seas. This common misconception has lead many American
aquarists to Europe in search of Apisto's not realizing they can be
found in your own backyard! The problem is American pet stores are
unwilling for the most part to deal with the more rare and
subsequently harder to handle wild fish. especialy Apisto's since they
come in so emanciated and with out color.

David Sanchez

- ---Jota Melgar  wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> >I don't have any input on the Opal/Borelli identity crisis, but I
might
> >suggest the possibility that different collections of similar
species or
> >varieties might be mixed together at some point in the importation
> process,
> >probably before leaving the country of origin.
>
> That is exactly what happens with species with a wide distribution
at most
> exporters but not all. I imagine that the same could be said of most
> importers.
>
> Dave wrote:
>
> >I go to the South American
> >Importers and they are very common and are sent to Europe by my
> >importers as a hot bread and butter fish.
>
> I doubt that few, if any, fish are sent to Europe via the U.S.
> Historically, the prices that Europeans and Asian markets have paid
for
> fish is what has limit our supply of the rare species. Even the less
> reputable exporters in Peru have customers in all 3 markets.
>
> Julio

Archives"!