Re: Rapid Fish Die Off -Reply

>>> chuck Amburn <apistonut@yahoo.com> 04/09/98 10:52am >>>

my little "wild" pulchers have white feces are they ok? they are
acting normal otherwise. The pet shop owner told me they where wild. I
suspect intestinal worms any suggestions among all the heads out there.

____________________________________

Chucko,

Are they actually white feces or small worms that look like feces...and =
hang out when the fish is normally swimming around.  If so think about =
worms, and calamanis (?sp) worms at that.  I believe Erik has summarized =
some posts on the treatment of the later on the The Krib.

It may be what they have been eating...sometimes I have noticed clear to =
whitish feces on my fish depending on the diet.  (One instance was pale =
adult brine). =20

Good Luck and keep us updated (are they eating okay)

Kathy

- ---"Maladorno, Dionigi (DRUG;Nutley)"  wrote:

>  AEIGPHD <> wrote:
> <<<<<<<Subject: Rapid Fish Die Off
> (...)  Well that was 2 days ago
> and all but 1 of the Wouri are dead.  They all started breathing
haevily
> with
> clamped fins after the water change.   RO water was stored in a green
> rubbermaid container for 1 night where the temp was adjusted.  My
> Nannochromis
> appear to be o.k.
> Any ideas on what happened?  My thinking is that the hardness went too
> high.
> Right now the gh is 4 and the alk is 4.5.  Also when i went to search
> for dead
> fish and removed some driftwood their was a slight sulfur smell.=20
please
> help
> me figure out what happened so that I don't kill these beautiful
fish or
> any
> others>>>>>>>
>=20
>=20
> At a first glance, I would suspect a gill infection, unless you
> just began to age the water in a new container. In the latter case,=20
> I would suspect water contamination from the additives sometimes=20
> used with plastics. Also check the water for ammonia and smell
> the tapwater for chlorine/chloramines (if you do not have a test kit
for
> that). For these situations, carbon filtration and use of a properly=20
> treated water source should eliminate the problem.
>=20
> If the container was used for a while with no problems, and the
tapwater
> is also fine, flukes, or Ich or velvet are very likely causes of your
> problem.
> A practical approach would be to first administer a course of
Fluke-tabs
> (one tablet/10 gal once, to be repeated in a week). If that does not
> work, the next possible step would be to treat for Ich or Velvet
(which
> do not
> always cause white dots to appear). If your fish tolerate high temp.,
> raising
> it to 93 deg. F will completely eliminate all ciliates and
> dinoflagellates (i.e.
> Ich and velvet). However, many fishes do not take that.
> In alternative, there are various brand products available on the
> market, but
> I did not find them effective. I would therefore resort to copper
> sulfate, which
> is however difficult to use. Let me know if you need details (which
are
> however
> available on fish health books).
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Dionigi Maladorno
> dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
> This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily=20
> those of my employer.
>=20
>=20

Archives"!