Re: Pelvicachromis roliffi

- --------------1B3DA45EB2D828A96B34FC6F

Mike,

I, too, have over 100 juvenile Pv. roloffi (Guinea) from two spawns.  Mine are a
little larger (older) than your fish.  One group, spawned at pH 6.3, appears to
be almost entirely males.  The other, spawned at pH 5.8, appears to be all
females (still too early to tell).  This is a problem with Pelvicachromis species
- - pH is very important in determining the sex ratios in them.  Each
Pelvicachromis species has a different pH requirement that results in even sex
ratios.  This is why many of the Pv. species have been so hard to come by in the
past.  They've been bred in a pH that resulted in nearly all fry being one sex
and then lost to the hobby.  Pv. pulcher has an even sex ratio at pH 7.0 - 7.2.
That's why they're so common.  Hopefully your 6.0 pH will give you fairly even
sex ratios, but only time will tell.  I personally will not sell mine until I
KNOW they've sexed out.  Anyone who buys juvenile krib are buying them at their
own risk!

Mike Wise

Mike Downey wrote:

> I have about 50 roliffi from two pairs of wild parents that are 1"sl. They
> are very nice fish and would like others to have them if anyone is
> interested. Please e-mail private.
> I will trade for your fish or work out something. They grow to about the
> size of P. pulcher
> (trade name Krib) The females are purple and golden. The best pics are in
> Lexicon of the female. Linke has only the male. The males are yellow-ish
> tan and not too spectacular.  They spawn like the "krib" in any cave and
> are good parents. I keep them in rain water at about pH 6.0 and use Black
> water tonic to keep it soft.
> Thanks
> Mike

- --------------1B3DA45EB2D828A96B34FC6F

<HTML>
<TT>Mike,</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>I, too, have over 100 juvenile Pv. roloffi (Guinea) from two spawns.&nbsp;
Mine are a little larger (older) than your fish.&nbsp; One group, spawned
at pH 6.3, appears to be almost entirely males.&nbsp; The other, spawned
at pH 5.8, appears to be all females (still too early to tell).&nbsp; This
is a problem with Pelvicachromis species - pH is very important in determining
the sex ratios in them.&nbsp; Each Pelvicachromis species has a different
pH requirement that results in even sex ratios.&nbsp; This is why many
of the Pv. species have been so hard to come by in the past.&nbsp; They've
been bred in a pH that resulted in nearly all fry being one sex and then
lost to the hobby.&nbsp; Pv. pulcher has an even sex ratio at pH 7.0 -
7.2.&nbsp; That's why they're so common.&nbsp; Hopefully your 6.0 pH will
give you fairly even sex ratios, but only time will tell.&nbsp; I personally
will not sell mine until I KNOW they've sexed out.&nbsp; Anyone who buys
juvenile krib are buying them at their own risk!</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Mike Wise</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Mike Downey wrote:</TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><TT>I have about 50 roliffi from two pairs of wild
parents that are 1"sl. They</TT>
<BR><TT>are very nice fish and would like others to have them if anyone
is</TT>
<BR><TT>interested. Please e-mail private.</TT>
<BR><TT>I will trade for your fish or work out something. They grow to
about the</TT>
<BR><TT>size of P. pulcher</TT>
<BR><TT>(trade name Krib) The females are purple and golden. The best pics
are in</TT>
<BR><TT>Lexicon of the female. Linke has only the male. The males are yellow-ish</TT>
<BR><TT>tan and not too spectacular.&nbsp; They spawn like the "krib" in
any cave and</TT>
<BR><TT>are good parents. I keep them in rain water at about pH 6.0 and
use Black</TT>
<BR><TT>water tonic to keep it soft.</TT>
<BR><TT>Thanks</TT>
<BR><TT>Mike</TT><TT></TT>

<BR><TT>Search <A HREF="http://altavista.digital.com">http://altavista.digital.com</A>
for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!</TT></BLOCKQUOTE>
<TT>&nbsp;</TT></HTML>

- --------------1B3DA45EB2D828A96B34FC6F--