Re: Soft, acid water

Mike Wise writes:

<< Fluorite is considered a Halide mineral, like salt.  Unlike salt it
> isn't very soluble in water.  If it was, we would have places dissolving in
> hydrofluoric acid (used to etch glass!).  Pure fluorite shouldn't alter the
water
> chemistry much if at all. >>

True, Mike, but as this is a heavily planted tank, I think she is talking
about the substrate additive from Seachem called "Flourite", in which case it
is a laterite clay.  Very poorly named, as geologists and rockhounds on the
Aquarium Plants Digest mailing list keep making the same mistake.

Bob Dixon