Re: Shipping fish?

IDMiamiBob wrote:

> I know Uwe Romer and
> Dave Soares exchange fish on Uwe's trips to the US on a regular basis.  I
> think Uwe usually takes them with him on his flights.

David told me that he is able to do this because Uwe gets the paperwork to declare
it as scientific research.

As for taking fish on flights... a friend lost all fish he brought on a two hour
flight.  He checked them in as regular luggage.  An inquiry with Northwest brought
the response that animals (live cargo) get treated differently and are placed in a
different compartment than is the luggage.  My friend concluded that the luggage
might be exposed to cold air and some decompression.  He recommends that either
the fish should be brought on board or it should be reported as live cargo so that
it will be handled appropiately.

- --Randy