Re: Apistogramma inconspicua

Hi Peter

A. inconspicua is one of the little grey Apistos (as Dr. Kullander
said once). They are quite difficult to tell apart from each other.
The A. commbrae-group/complex/subcomplex (which A. inconspicua
belongs to) has a specific trait which makes it easy to at least
tell if it's one of those (A. commbrae, A. inconspicua, A. linkei
and a couple of undescribed ones). The caudal spot and the seventh
transversal bar form a larger spot due to them being so close. Compare
with species from the regani/caetei-group where they are clearly
separate. If you look at

http://www2.rpa.net/~debrown/reticulosa2.jpg
http://www2.rpa.net/~debrown/reticulosa3.jpg

you'll see a single-spotted specimen probably from the caetei-group.
If you have access to Linke&Staeck, Koslowski, Mayland&Bork or any
recent dwarf cichlid book you can take a look at A. commbrae or
inconspicua and compare, the difference should be clear.

I'll take a look in my books this evening to have more info but I'm
guessing someone will have posted more accurate info before tomorrow.

//Fredrik

- --
Fredrik.Ljungberg@saab.se
Saab Ab
Flutter and Loads Department
voice +46 13 18 54 60, fax +46 13 18 33 63