Re: Apistogramma inconspicua

O.K.  Maybe a little description of my Apistogramma indescripta
(inconspicua ?) will help with the I.D.
Male; 62 mm; Body color cream-yellow (PANTONE 1205 C); posterior edge of
scales light gray; faint blue-green iridescence from nuchal region along
dorsum to base of tail; pearlescent light blue (PANTONE 277 C) marbled
pattern on operculum; enlarged lips light blue; fins reddish yellow (PANTONE
1235 C); anterior margin of pectorals, anal and dorsal black; suborbital
stripe not reaching inferior margin of operculum; faint light brown
postorbital stripe; vertical bars almost undistinguishable; faint
supraorbital stripe; caudal spot faint translucent iron oxide red (PANTONE
1807 C), but clearly separate from 7th vertical bar.

Female; 49 mm; Body color chromium yellow (PANTONE 123 C), lighter along
ventral; fins reddish yellow and anterior margin of pelvic annd anal black
extending to tip of first three fin rays; broad black suborbital stripe
extending to inferior edge of operculum; no lateral spots on vertical bars
1 and 2, although spots at base of dorsal clearly defined, with black
marking on bar 1 extending throughout first 3 fin rays; bars 3-6 faint and
translucent, connecting large black lateral spots with black spots on
proximal margin of dorsal; only 7th bar clearly defined; large black caudal
spot which, although touching 7th bar, clearly distinguishable, forming a
horizontal figure-8 marking.

I think I can discard the idea of these being hybrids of some sort, since
the elaborate breeding behaviour does not show the sloppiness in parental
care often observed in hybrids.  Also, body shape is not quite that of the
images of A. reticulosa sent by Fredrik Ljungberg.  These fish look like
something out of Disney`s new movie: Honey, I shrunk the Cichlasoma salvinii.

But, while still trying to figure out what in Neptune`s name these things
are, I`m sure enjoying them and all your contributions.

Thanks,

Peter Rockstroh
plasticolor@guate.net