Re:My Fish Must be Really Happy

Vicky
It is always exciting when our Apistogramma's spawn.  In my experience I
have never interfered with their chosen spawning site.  Apisto females love
small pots with an entrance just big enough for her to enter.  I provide
them with 2" clay pots to which I enlarge the drainage hole then file it
down to remove any sharp edges.  Place in tank upside down.  The male
doesn't need to enter pot with female to fertilise the eggs, he is quite
able to to this by fanning his milk into the pot.
Also please avoid separating compatible pairs, you are liable to break the
pair bonding.
Leave the tank alone.  If, when the fry appear you find that the male is
causing a threat to his family (or she to him), then you may have to remove
him, not the female.  I may just be very fortunate but I have never removed
either of pair from their tanks.
Note that a brightly yellow coloured female indicates that there are eggs
or fry about somewhere.  Be patient and leave well alone.  You will need
your extra tanks for rearing the young when the parents decide to do it all
again, with any luck!
Helen.