Re: Changing Water in Baby Tank

I have found with a lot of my fry from many species, that some are more
susceptible to water quality than others. What I do is when I collect my
eggs (not on all my fish) I will already have a 10 gallon ready a week ahead
of time for them. I set it up with a sponge filter that has been
sitting/floating in another tank so as it doesn't dry out and then I add
fresh tap water. (Not on apistos though. I set them up with straight RO.)
After a week the fry are added to the new tank. I have not had any losses
this way. Sometimes I will set up a tank like this and put in a 'tumbler' to
hatch the eggs in so that the hatchlings won't have a 'shock' to their
system when I move them to another tank. (This method works well with my
angels and corys.) My apistos I usually leave with the parents as long as
they are good parents and are caring for the eggs and fry. I will try to do
a 10% water change when I notice eggs. I won't do another small water change
until the fry have been free swimming for about a week.

I don't know if this info will help you or not. Just my 2 cents worth.

Kaycy