Re: A Spawn !!

In a message dated 5/18/98 3:03:51 PM EST, gacasey@ibm.net writes:

<< So, my question is what next?? I have lots of books{read them}
> researched it online{read that too} but I feel better posting it to the
> list. They are the Triple Red color varient. The tank is a 10 gal tank
> with a Hydro Sponge III in it and several flower pots and a mass of Java
> Moss. I am guessing that since the fry are free swimming that I may need
> to feed them soon altho they have moss and a sponge to nibble off of.
> They seem to be picking at the sand substrate also. Thanks Everyone
> I finally got a decent spawn. >>

Bummer!! Your BBS should already be hatched.  That's the problem with these
cave spawners.  They never bother to check with you before scheduling this
stuff.  Anyway, get some baby brine going as fast as you can and start feeding
them.  Meanwhile, any really small live food you have, such as microworms,
vinegar eels, etc will do okay.  If the male is too badly harassed in that
little ten gallon, get him out of there.  I usually siphon off the fry into a
rearing tank after five or six days.  Some folks will leave them in there for
weeks.  With the live food, and the number of fish in there, regular fresh
water changes are in order.  I do mine daily (a hangover from my angelfish
days) for several weeks, until the fry are big enough to tolerate slightly
elevated nitrate levels.

Congratulations,
Bob Dixon