Re: missing messages (A. tucurui)

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Mike Wise writes (as a reprint from an article):
> <snip>< Although
> > breeding the Tucuruí Apistogramma was consistently successful, and the fish
>  had
> > been distributed fairly widely among Apistogramma breeders, the species
> > apparently is again missing from the hobby.  This is very unfortunate since
>  their
> > natural habitat, presently known only from the area on the eastern side of
>  the
> > Tucuruí impoundment, has in all likelihood been greatly altered and the
>  existence
> > of these fish is possibly threatened by dam construction on the Rio
>  Tucuruí.<snip>>

> Jan-  Sounds like this is an exceptionally qualified species for our
>  fledgeling Species Maintenance Program.  Although the dam that destroyed their
>  habitat will in all likelyhood outlive us all, these fish should be considered
>  as significant to the hobby.  They are very beautiful, and reportedly easy to
>  spawn.  Please, PLEASE- as soon as you are getting successful spawns, let
>  Julio or myself know that you plan to keep them going for a while.  I would
>  also be willing to pay shipping plus a price to get some from you when they
>  reach about 1/2 -3/4 inches (12-18 mm) in length, so we can get some going
>  here in the States.  Espcially so if your Government makes keeping them
>  illegal.  Getting them distributed as widely as possible should be a priority.
>
> Anyone else out there fortunate enough to have some of these beauties in their
>  tanks?  Let me hear from you, please.  I would like to track these guys and
>  see how they are doing.

Dear Mike, Jan, and folks discussing on A.sp. "Tucurui":

I've collected on Tucurui-area a couple of times, the last of them at
past year.
The commonest dwarf cichlid in the area of Tucurui is A. agassizii (a
population that we call "golden line"); Nannacara taenia is also found
in sympatry with the previous species.
The so-called "Tucurui"-Apistogramma is not found on the dam itself, but
near the town of Jacunda Nova (stated by German collectors and confirmed
by myself) in opened swampy areas formed by overflow of streams
(igarapes). Jacunda Nova is a town near the dam (the biggest city on the
area is Tucurui).
It seems to be very rare in nature, as despite of intensive collecting
efforts of three people, we could only collect about 20 specimens of it.
The biotope is at no way polluted, quite the opposite, it is in a farm
area.  Other fishes like tetras are commonest in the biotope.
It's not very difficult to breed, and we are presently producing it in
our Apisto farm. Only point is that they are not raising many fry per
spawning, unlike other members of the A. regani-group.
The water we're using is pH 6.5, similar to the water found on its
biotope (pH 5.5-6.0); it's NOT a blackwater fish.

Cheers, Marco.