Re: Book about water chemistry

I agree that there are not many specific texts that deal with water
chemistry as applicable to fishkeeping.  As someone with a background in
chemistry (I have a B.Sc and have worked in the enviromental chemistry
field) my suggestion is to get hold of a general introductory text on
chemistry.  The sections of interest are aqueous and/or inorganic
chemistry.  This should have an introduction on the principles of
solubility, pH and buffering.

It is difficult however to apply many of the equations of analytical
chemistry since these are based on systems containing a few pure
components, and are only loosely transferable to real systems, where
literally dozens of chemical compounds are combined.  The principles are
more easily transferable, and whilst you won't get hard and fast numbers,
they will give you an indication of what to expect.  The whole issue is
confused even further by aquarists using terms (such as hardness) that owe
more to the results an easily performed test than any specific chemical
property.

I will say that understanding the chemistry of the water we use is
something that goes a long way to helping us offer the best possible
environment for our fishes, and hence increases our successes.

Steve