Re: Germans

Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> I think that the Germans weren't just the first in apistos, but in all
> aquarium
> fish (as opposed to pond fish).  Even the American hobby was started by
> German
> immigrants.

Dear Mike:

Very interesting your historical summary.
I would like to add that one of the first ichthyologists to study South
American fishes was Carl Eigenmann, who was a German immigrant to the
USA.  Myers was perhaps the leading ichthyologist on South American
fishes of his time (he was once a student of Eigenmann) and described
several dwarf cichlids, as Taeniacara candidi and Crenicara (now
Dicrossus) filamentosus. Weitzman that you mentions is one of the best
ichthyologists of our time, and he was once a Myers' student.
Don't forget also Haseman, who worked at some dwarf cichlids at the
Carnegie Museum, in the 1910's (Eigenmann's time, I think he was also
one of Eigenmann's students).