Re: Spawning Rams

Hi, recently I had a lot of problems with my rams spawns, but I think I
figured out the best way and have now about 300+ fry and 3 females wishing
to spawn with the same male again.
The most important things as I figured out are

	Take them to their own tank. The best size is 2.5 g to 5g. Tested
 	BAD choices are
		leaving them in the same tank
		using a plastic box floating in the big tank
		using 'fry net' in the big tank

	Make waterchanges 50% every day. Skiping even once can lead to
	fry death (all of the fry). I do changes with pure RO water

	LOTS of food. Before I started infusoria culture, I could rise
	only several fry from a spawn (200-300 eggs), now 100% of fry
	survives

	Remove rotten eggs twice a day, it is better then using methyl
	blue, since methyl does not prevent rot of unfertilized eggs, I
	am not using it at all now with greater success.

	Conditions (temperature, pH) should be very stable.

	Nothing can guarantee success unless you have the right pair.
	The problem of male infertility is real. I made experiments side
	by side and out of 3 males only one was fertile, and out of 3
	females all were fertile but in different degrees (from 20% to
	100% of eggs hatched after fertilization with the best male)

Best wishes! I found my attempts to rise the fry very challenging and now
wonder if the city will be able to absorb that many blue rams to come soon!

Lilia