Stressed fish;

Bob wrote: <<<<< Stressed fish
(...) He got really listless and hid under a rock with his mouth open.
The next morning he was dead {:(   That same day I had a spawn in the
20-long
with three pairs and a couple hatchets in it.  Today I saw the same
symptoms
in one of the sub-dom males in that tank.(...)>>>>>

Diseases are not easy to recognize in apistos, however
considering that the problem seems to be spreading, and
that hatchets are wild-caught fish with a reputation of
being quite prone to disease, there is the possibility that
some pathogen is causing this.
Probably high temp. (93 deg. for a week, which however some
fish do not tolerate), or 7 drops/10 gal of Rid-Ich plus (to be
repeated every three days for four times; add aeration and keep the
temp. normal) are good option to put under control gill protozoans
(temp.) or gill flukes (Rid-Ich).
This is assuming that there is no ammonia problem.
Good luck

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.