Camallanus infection

To:       apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
cc:
From:     Guillaume Hervieu-1 @ SB_PHARM_RD
Date:     19-Jun-98 01:27:20 PM
Subject:  Camallanus infection
Categories:

Hi,
     I've got a Camallanus infection in my aquarium (Discus, Gouramis,
Mollies, Eels, Kuhlis, Catfishes, Corydoras, Neons (false and Tetra
Cardinals), Scalar, Rainbow fish, Red shark tails and CRABS). One eel is
particularly affected with a bunch of worms going out from the rectum. The
thing is that she has had a dropsy rectum for quite a while and it is
really only recently that worms were visible. But she seems to be really
fine (no emaciation, eats very well etc..). I discovered it last saturday
because a Guppy was affected and I had to euthanise him (the abdomen was
open).
Infection may due to new plants (that I now treat with KMnO4), frozen food
(Mosquito larvae). I have two soft-water crabs. Might they be intermediary
host?

I treated yesterday with levamisole (10 mg/ml). It comes from Sigma
(L9756). In the catalog, they say n'not for veterinary use'. However ,
there is only the (-) form {by definition levamisole is the levogyre form
of the the racemic tetramisole. the (+) form is highly toxic). Discus were
reacting first very badly with a loss of equilibrium but seemed to be OK
after.
You are supposed to treat for one day. Could it be more? Can the drug be
eliminated with charcoal. I am not keen on doing another water change. I
had to do one in emergency in the last Sunday' night cause I did a fatal
and follish mistake by mixing several medications (anti-, bacterial,
fungus, and parasite from Interpret in the UK). The water got brown cloudy
and the fishes were really gasping for air (even the bottom fish one).
After a one-day treatment, there does not appear to be much change of the
eel infection.

I also dipped the eel (far most affected; one of my favorite) in salt-water
(3%) + methylene blue + formalin (all at recommended dosage). I couldn't
stand to see the eel so affected by the bath so the treatment was only for
10 minutes. Do you know Fluke tablets? Ivermectin?
Would KMnO4 ?/H2O2?/ green malachite be of any use?

I am thinking of doing external surgery (just removing the protruding worms
from the rectum) on the eel with a slight anesthesia with benzocaine this
WE. Has anyone had  experience with that anaesthesic drug?

What could be the best remedy against these red worms but without affecting
the health of the fish? I read the Ivermectin is very efficient but that
some fish may show great sensivity (death).

Cheers,
 Guillaume Hervieu.