Apistos and planted tank

Right now I am collecting ro water to set up a 55 gallon apisto biotype tank.
the previous post on mixing apistos inspired me to ask the following
questions.  I am planning, after speaking to a few breeders, to have either 2
or 3 groups of five apistos from 3 different complexes.  The tank will be
heavily planted with driftwood rockwork and coconut shells.  The lightint will
be VHO bulbs.  I could go with 110 watts or 220 watts.  the 220 watts may be
overkill but I am thinking that if I go with blackwater it wouldn't hurt.  So
would you recommend blackwater (boiled peat or cannister filtered peat) or go
with clear water and less lighting.  I am trying to stear clear of CO2
supplementation.  Would love to hear your thoughts?

Andy