Re: Buying and Mixing Apistos

Steph,

     I would be cautious in assuming that what the importers/wholesalers
(and therefore LFSs) are listing at the moment is actually mcmasterii or
gibbiceps. In relation to the last 4 importations of "mcmasteri" into
Australia, that I am aware of, they have actually been sp
rotpunkt/schwarzum. (If the retail price is under A$20, I would doubt they
are mcmasterii.) I cannot comment on the gibbiceps as I have not seen any
specimens of them. (From memory they were on one of the importers lists
about 7 to 8 weeks ago. )

     Assuming the mcmasterii are rotpunkt/schwarzum (as are my
"mcmasterii"), they are a pretty large and robust apisto which is easily
bred and maintained. However, unless they are pretty young locally bred
fish, they could make life a bit difficult for young aggis  (as the
imported specimems tend to be pretty big by the time they reach here and
are of variable temprament).  A glass or other partiition could be used, of
couse, if they became a problem. Two of my males are pretty peaceful, the
third is an absolute monster.

Keith
Canberra, Australia