Apologies, Well Sort of. -Reply

>>4.  People have strange ideas, we have gone far enough with plastic
surgery and all the crap we do to ourselves, Do we have to do it to our
fish too. The asians aim to please, Apisto sp. "barbie" coming soon.<<

Hey.  Different strokes for different folks.

I'm into killies as well.  The killie folks, some of whom are on this list too,
are rather fanatical about keeping pure strains.  There are some fish
where the combination of the genus, species, population and collection
code is longer than the fish.  All in the interest of keeping strains pure
and reducing hybrids.

Still, there are aquarium strains of several popular killies, like the Gold or
Orange strain of Aphyosemion australe (the Lyretail Killie).  Some folks
have even reported problems breeding this strain, presumably because
of inbreeding.  Still, even the most fanatic killie keeper doesn't flame those
who LIKE the gold strain and choose to keep and breed it.

LIKE being the operative word.  As a hobbyist (it is a hobby for me), I will
chose the fish for my tanks by what I want to keep.  There's nothing
wrong with that at all.  I agree that failures with such sports may
discourage new hobbyists.  That's why WE must educate them (me?)
even if they buy what they like.

Live and let live.

I would encourage you to remain on the list, even if you just lurk.  There's
plenty of good information given on all species of Apistos, not just the
Cockatoos.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson