Re: Panduro -Reply

>>He ticked the classification experts off because JACA is a "hobby"
journal.  Kullander himself later "re-did" the description and had it
"properly" published. <<

Actually, the governing body that "officiates" the naming (I can't recall its
name right now, IZA?) is not too rigid on acceptable publications.  I just
ran into a case where a killifish, Cynolebias antenori, was insufficiently
described in a publication to meet there requirements of a valid
description.  A few years late, a Chicago killie keeper wrote a two page
article for Killie Notes, the precursor to JAKA, that did meet the
requirements.

Consequently, he's attributed as the describer while the original
describer, with the same species name, is attributed as a synonym.

Also, I've seen entries in AquaLog, which is basically a picture book,
qualify for valid naming.  Go figure.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson