RE: Classification (was Panduro) -Reply

>>...it may change when someone else does the work later if the
work-up was not good enough, but that's another story.<<

But it is actually part of this story in a way.  The rigid process of peer
review reduces errors.  Notice I didn't say eliminates them.  I personally
don't mind "lesser" journals being used to officially describe species as
long as it's done accurately, responsibly and honorably.  Not that my
opinion really matters <s>.

The case regarding Aqualog I eluded to in an earlier post was in regards
to N. fuscotaeniatus Kitonga north TAN 97/9.

This fish was originally collected by Brian Watters  Ruud Wildekamp, and
Barry Cooper on May 31, 1997 and given the provisional name of N. sp.
Kitonga north TAN 97/9.  Dr. Watters started a long and painstaking
process of cross breeding, research and writing a description for
publication.

But, a few months after they had collected the fish, Dr. Seegers traveled
to Tanzania and collected the very same fish from the same location (or
very near).  He then published a photo a minimum description in his soon
to be release Aqualog book.

As a hobbyist, I'm glad that a photo of the fish made it into publication.
But as a killie keeper, I would have preferred that he had used the
provisional name and let the honor of naming the fish be at the discretion
of the original collector.

In this particular instance, the species is distinct enough to avoid the
possible misidentification.  However, many nothos, just like Apistos, are
very similar and the rigid testing and research are the only reliable means
to differentiate valid species.

BTW - I know that there are several folks doing serious DNA research as
a tool to classify killies.  Are there any such efforts in regards to Apistos.

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson