Re: A. Resticulosa Blue Mask & species names.

Ken Laidlaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > A. sp. Blauglanz
>
> Sorry, I don't know any german so what does this mean?

Ken,

A. sp. Blauglanz (=Blue-sheen) is the name usually used for this fish.  It was
originally described by Koslowski in DCG-Informationen (journal of the German
Cichlid Association) in 1984.  It's used just like A. sp. Breitbinden.  Very few
people use Broad-banded Apisto for this species either. Ditto for A. sp. Smaragd
(Emerald), Vierstreifen (4-stripe), Schwarzsaum (Black-edged), etc.  I personally
prefer to use the original name in whatever language it was originally named so
that we don't have a glut of names for the same fish.  This is what's being done
with rift lake cichlids.  Both the English  & German speaking hobbyists , for
example, use Tropheus sp. Yellow Kaiser instead of T. sp. Gelb Kaiser (in
Germany) and T. sp. Yellow Emperor in English speaking countries.

> More on this. Has anyone a list of the german species names
> with translations.  e.g rotpunkt means red spot.
> Also does anyone have a cross-reference list that shoes
> previously used species names against the proper name.
> e.g. A. sp sunset is now a.atahualpa.
> I think these would be good to have as a reference.
> Thanks,
> Ken.

I've been doing this for the Apistogramma Study Group for over 10 years now.
This "Nominal list of Apistogramma species" is published regularly in the
Apisto-gram. There are plans for it being added to the ASG web page. It presently
includes the names of 53 valid species and 91 undescribed, but published,
species. This doesn't include unpublished trade names or spelling variations.
That's a lot of apistos!  The list includes the species name (with English
translations if in another language), its original reference source (copies
available to ASG members), its group/complex relationship, and distribution in
the wild. The list also includes a list of invalid scientific names (like A.
corumbae, A. ramirezi, & A. t. longirostris) and a list of the common names used
for recently described species.  This is all backed up by a reference list that
fills 4+ pages. It's very comprehensive. I don't do all the leg work myself, but
depend on other hobbyists as well (special thanks to Erik, Fred & Marco). Check
with the Apistogramma Study Group for back issues with this list in it. Heck,
join and get access to the updated versions.

Mike Wise
Tech. Ed. A.S.G.