Re: Habitat WAS: APD (plants list)

Vinod Kutty wrote:

> We also caught these fish living under awnings provided by terrestrial weeds
> growing over lake shores.  Some of these weeds were floating at chest deep
> water and it was strange catching apistos there using seine nets.

These are the floating meadows described by Kullander in his monograph "The
cichlid fishes of the Amazon River drainage of Peru"

> I may go back to Peru to check out Rio Madre de Dios and Rio Tambopata in
> southern Peru, near Bolivia...does anyone know what kinda Apistos I could
> expect there?

This area is not well collected. So far the only dwarfs known from these rivers
A. luelingi, A. urteagai, and Crenicara punctulatum. This white water river
system is part of the upper Rio Madiera drainage so it's possible that fish like
A. steacki and Microgeophagus altispinosus might be found there too. If you plan
on collecting in Peru more I'd strongly recommend getting the Kullander monograph
listed above.

Mike Wise