Re: apisto sp ampiyacu

Gary,

Apistogramma Pebas/Ampiyacu is either another color form of A. sp. Rotpunkt or
very closely related to it.  It was first introduced to the hobby last year by
Yamazaki in the Japanese book Tropical Cichlid Collection 6, South American Dwarf
Cichlid (Pisces Pubs. Co., Ltd, Tokyo, ISBN 4-938780-24-0).  It's in Japanese, of
course.  This fish is shipped out of Pebas, Peru and said to come from the Rio
Ampiyacu.  The Ampiyacu is a very small left bank (northern) river that flows
into the Peruvian Rio Amazonas west of Pebas. Size for size, the Ampiyacu is
probably the most intensely collected stretch of water in South America (This is
the type locality of the 'enigmatic' A. amoena.).  I find it surprising that
anything new has come from this river. This is the first report of a
Rotpunkt-like species from Peru. All other reported locations have been from the
Rio Caquetá/Japurá of Colombia/Brazil or the upper Rio Orinoco of Colombia. This
is almost 200 mi. (350 km) from the Ampiyacu.  Make me wonder if this
distribution is correct.

Mike Wise