Re: Cacatuoides and hard water

Kathy at the krib wrote:

>Dionigi,
>
>The Schmettkamp text actually lists cacautoides as tolertating and
>spawning in a wide rang of conditions including alkaline water.  Now how
>alkaline I do not know.  Never tried them in hard water.  I would suggest
>hitting your friend hitting a local rockery.  Ours we can pick up a 100
>lbs of fine gravel or sand for $5, decorator stuff for $10.  The hard
>water probably makes things challenging enough without adding the coral to
>boot.
>
>Kathy

We caught a few A. cacatuoides in pH 7.2 and 7.3 with conductivity upto
about 120 uS.
This was supposed to be a "black water" stream but the numbers above
generated with  well-calibrated meters don't reflect that.  Apparently
Peruvian blackwater streams get muddy (as a consequence slightly alkaline
and harder?) during the dry season.  So, I'd say these fish would tolerate
and/or prosper in most regular tap waters.

Vinny