Re: small fish

All of this is making sense to me. I had to leave town suddenly in the
summer, and in an effort to save some delicate killie fry, threw clumps
of green thread algae from my pond into 4 12 gallon fry tanks. When I
returned 3 weeks later, I had exactly the same number of young killies,
from all 4 species, possibly even bigger than they would have been on
bbs. I hadn't lost one fry in spite of the lovely blue
darner/dragonflies buzzing around the fluorescents. Now, these weren't
apistos,but they were difficult species I'd say are as hard to raise as
young apistos.
I also once entirely missed a group of N transvestitus fry (I shouldn't
admit this) for a few weeks, and they grew normally. Their tank was a
driftwood and java moss jungle, with 3 inches of hornwort on the
surface.
I feed fewer bbs than I used to, and make sure my grow out tanks have a
lot of plants.
-Gary