Fwd: Re: small fish

Dave wrote:
>I have seen a wide variety of cichlid parents take "adult" food (like
>flake) and chew it, then spit tiny bits out for the kids.   Cichlids
are
>amazing parents!

I've seen this and in addition. I've seen mother cichlids use their
chest to plow up the substrate and stir up small cloud from the
substrate so the fry can presumably eat.  When I was younger, and had
more times on my hands, I would feed my fish almost everytime I walked
by their tank.  The amount wasn't a great deal, but the ideal was to
kept them constantly fed.  This plus water changes seemed to get
exceptional growth from the fish.  Leaving baby apistos with their
mothers actually probably gets the babies fed more frequently than what
most people will be able to.

I know why why has to constantly coax our kids to eat.  Perhaps the
mother also plays this role with baby apistos.