Powerheads vs Air

I just did a change over on four of my breeder tanks,from using small
powerheads with Hydro Sponges to using air bubbles with the sponges.
The only problem is that without the same water movement, the tanks temp

has dropped. That tells me the water is not circulating enough, so how
can
I know if the entire tank is being proccesed by or thru the sponges.
I have read a lot of stuff about water movement or the lack of, and
I understand that apisto's live in stagnant or slow moving water, so I
am
wondering how much water movement is considered too much, or to little,
and am hoping you all will express your opinoins and experiance on this
subject.

Thanks,
Tim