Re: Powerheads vs Air

Honestly, I do not use sponges at all.  My girlfriend and I have 1 display
tank (her baby), a 20 Hex (soon to be my office tank), and my breeding
set-up, which consists of two 20L's, two 10's, and two 20H's (all she will
let me have right now).  The display tank runs on 2 filters -- a fluidized
bed driven by an aquaclear 301 powerhead and an eheim canister with a
surface extractor intake and spraybar.  All 5 20's run on aquaclear 200
power filters and the 2 tens run aquaclear mini power filters.  When I am
worried about fry being sucked by the filters (which is not too often as
the mothers seem quite capable of keeping the fry away from the filter
intake), I put what I like to call "filter condoms" over the intakes...
basically a piece of filter felt sewn together to fit over the intake tube.
The apisto's and their fry have not seemed to have any problems with this
arrangement.

Just my solution to the problem,

--Cliff