Fwd: high temps

Kathy wrote:
>Had a question for the list.  I was asked the other day about keeping
>apisto's with Discus.  This person has lost both borellii and
cacatuoides
>with the Discus, which are in good health.  They thought it was due to
the
>high temp.  Anyone have any experience with this?  What is the max temp
>people have kept apito's at?
>
>Kathy
I think it depends on what species of apisto.  I kept MacMasteri with
wild Green Discus and although they never bred in those conditions, they
grew to pretty good size and appeared in excellent health.  I've heard
it speculated that apistos may be annual fish (maybe one year life
cycle) and as such, the higher temperatures may further shorten their
life spans.

As a general rule, fish coming  from moving waters do better with a
higher oxygen content in the water, whereas fish coming from stagnant
waters seem to do well with less highly-oxygenated water.  Increasing
the temperature, in addition to probably shortening their life
expectancies, will make some apistos appear raggedy and unkempt.  I've
seen this with borelli that I have kept in the past.