Re: Crenicichla compressiceps

>Hello everyone,
>I'm not sure whether this is considered a dwarf- but I have the opportunity
>get some, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I'd
like
>to find out whether they're piscivores or not (L & S says they have very
small
>mouths).
>Any info would be great, no info would be understandable :-).
>Jason

Yes, it is considered a dwarf cichlid but not in temprament.  Behaviorally,
it should be treated like any of the larger members of its genus.  Housing
these fish in tanks smaller than 30 gallons will usually result in one male
ruling the tank and the others wishing they were dead.  If you dont have a
larger tank, make sure you have a lot of caves, rocks and other forms of
cover.

This fish comes from shallow, fast flowing, rock and boulder strewn parts of
Rio Tocantins and its tributaries.  FOr aquarium husbandry, this translates
to lots of rocks and cover, heavy aeration and the addition of a powerhead
may not be a bad idea.  They seem just as happy without much water movement.
They are not picky about water parameters.  Tocantins, and most of the
rivers in Eastern Brazil that originate in the rocky Brazilian highlands
have clear water - near neutral to slightly acidic pH with softish water.

They are not picky about food but do give them live brine and live daphnia
frequently.  They may learn to eat feeder guppies but are not particularly
predatory towards characins in the wild.  They are specialized invertebrate
feeders.  If you MUST house other South American dwarf cichlids with them,
stick with large Laetacara, Crenicara...full grown steindachneri or
cacatuoides if you must put them in with Apistos.  I would not house them
with dwarf cichlids.

The anal fins of males have stripes while the female's dont.   They have
been spawned in aquaria.  Like all aquarium spawnings of Crenicichla, they
are cave spawners.

I have an article on Dwarf Pikes in my web site:

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/

Look in the Pike Photos section for a picture too.

Vinny
vkutty@prodigy.net