Re: Sponge filter

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
> <I'm currently putting together a 55 gallon plant tank using a
> <power head with a sponge.
>
> Do you recommend power heads over a simple air pump - or is there a certain
> size tank were a power head becomes necessary ?

Size isn't as important as depth. It's hard for the standard vibrator-type pump
to push air in tanks much deeper than 18" (45 cm). The back pressure on the pump,
caused by the water pressure, is such that it quickly ages the diaphrams and they
split prematurely. I have a 20 gallon show tank (20LX10WX24D inches or 50X25X60
cm) that can be handled only by the largest diaphram pump. The air pressure where
you live has some factor in this, too. Where I live (5350 ft/1630 m elevation)
the air pressure is only about 85-90% of sea level pressure and pumps can only
pump 85-90% of the air that is available at sea level.

As for the utility of air driven sponge filters, I once used a Tetra Pond Sponge
Filter on a 55 gallon (210 l) feeder goldfish tank. It could easily handle 1000,
for short periods of time (a week) 2000, 2½ in (6.5 cm) goldfish without a
problem. I use it whenever I have a lot of dwarfs to grow out in a smaller tank.
It works great.

Mike Wise