Fwd: RE: Peces Tropicales LTDA

Tom Wrote:
>Doug - can't speak for these guys specifically, but in general, this
>type of thing is real. However, there are some provisos.  For one, when
>they mean assorted box, they mean assorted.  You could get all of the
>species or only one.  Most often, you get mosly aggies.  For another,
>these generally come in very young, so it takes some time before you
>even get a chance to sex them out and determine what you have.
However,
>you can sometimes get some real beauties this way.  I've seen this kind
>of assortment come into stores in the past.  Once, the shipment was
made
>up entirely of Ap. sp. 4-stripe, with a few sp. Brietbinden mixed in.
>This was about 1.5 years before 4-stripe was available to any
>significance within the US.  At other times, I've seen mostly aggies,
>with neat things like Gephyra and iniridae etc. come in.  One guy I
know
>got a box with some really small, undescript fry in it.  He had a
fairly
>substanial loss of fish at first, and eventually got maybe 30-40% to
>grow out.  But what he had when he was done was just the nicest
>yellow-tail aggies I have ever seen!  (Frankly, I've never seen them
>elsewhere).
>
>Good luck if you try a shot.
>
>Tom
A local fish store owner helped me order a half box a couple of years
ago.  They turned out to be cacatuoides.  They seem to have a good
survival rate if plopped into soft acid waters first.  I think the high
mortality rates that many places experience may be because the fish was
put into water with a greater than 7 ph.  The ammonia ion takes a more
toxic form in higher ph and may have damaged the fish's gills.  Just my
one experience at doing this.   Unfortunately, the store owner who did
this for me is retiring and closing his store.