Re: Aggie video clip!

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Ken Laidlaw wrote:

> Erik,
> Liked the clip.  It did appear a bit grainy on my screen
> but it is certainly worth keeping on the Krib.

As Kathy pointed out to me yesterday, we have some much better footage of
our fish. :)

> Did you lose the spawn as the parental colouration seemed
> to fade in the female, in particular the line returned as
> opposed to the spot on the side of the body.

We did lose the spawn (there were a dozen A. regani in the same tank, plus
another aggie female).  The problem was that this was meant to be a
growout tank, and we bought the fish as "wild A. uaepesi" at ACA.  We were
quite amused to see them grow into three separate species.

But we're adapting; We spent virtually the whole weekend switching around
tanks (wouldn't want a frumpy-looking fishroom when Karen Randall and her
camera come to town), so the trio is now in their own 10. Since this was
the second spawn attempt (and one of the females is already yellow again),
I suspect we'll have success soon...

attempt to do a time-lapse of the eggs.  I set up the camera on a tripod
downstairs in the fishroom, with a 50-foot S-Video cable to my computer
(Miro DC30 capture card) upstairs.  After I couldn't get the time lapse
feature to work for more than 1/2 hour, I bailed and over the course of
the 4 days, I grabbed 30-second clips, then used Adobe Premeire to
edit them into one clip, and then RealMedia's G2 "RealEncoder", which
thanks to a tip from Doug, I found for free on their site.

    - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson
erik at thekrib.com