Re: Does this count as a dwarf?

K & D martin wrote:

> Are biotodoma cupido and microgeophagus altispinosas dwarfs/apistos?  I
> recently ordered both.  Read that the bioto. like hard water adn the mic.
> altis. like soft - which is great since i have different tanks set up for
> them.  But i saw one picture of the biot. and thought it  was gorgeious and
> then in teh last issue of TFH saw another picture and thought it was kind of
> plain, am wondering if i saw the same fish????  the micro. altispinosas
> looked beautiful in both sets of pics.  I think one was from Baensch's atlas
> and then the others were in the TFH issue.
>
> thanks, kym

Biotodomo sp get a little big to be called dwarf. They're 'smallish'
cichlids, for what that's worth. I'd be worried trying to keep, say 4,
in anything less than a 30 gallon. They squabble a lot. The ones I've
seen look more like the TFH photo, but are somehow beautiful. There are
a lot of reflective colours that come out as the fish get older. It's a
slow process.
I think they're a great fish.
Altispinosa are borderline dwarf cichlids. They get a bit bigger than
the general run, but they behave small.
-Gary