Re: Moving homes with an aquarium

When Darren and I went to move all my tanks to his apartment, it was
some experience. While I bagged fish and packed them into fish boxes, he
and a friend would drain the tanks and then move them into the vehicles.
I moved, maybe 20 miles away, but it was indeed a job. I had to tear
down 9-55 gallons tanks, 3-30 gallons, 12-20 gallons, 30-10 gallons. I
removed as much of the water from the tanks and took out all filters,
heaters, etc.out.  Anything that would move around and could possibly
break any of the glass panes. Breeders were bagged together while fish
in community tanks were bagged by species and compatibility. All cats
and plecos were bagged separate from the swimmers so as not to damage
these other fish with their spikes. All fry were bagged together in
their batches and split into several bags if needed. I did not feed the
fish for 2 days prior, except the fry were not fed that morning.

We had to take down our stands and marked all the boards so we would
know which board went to which stand and where each board belonged on
the stand. (This sure helped a lot when setting them back up!) Once all
the tanks were up and running with air we brought the fish over and
floated them in the tanks they would be released into. They were
adjusted as if we just bought them and then released.

After this experience (it took us 2 days to move every tank and their
inhabitants), we decided that our next step we would sell all the
saleable fish first and not take any fry with us. It seems the fry have
a harder time with the move than the adults.

Kaycy