Peat filtration. -Reply

>>one should boil peat for 15 min before using.  I am thinking about using
peat in one of my tanks and wondered why this was.<<

In addition to Bob's comments, boiling also allows prevents the peat from
floating.  This is not a big issue if you put it ina filter or nylon bag.  But it is
a big deal for peat spawning killies were the peat is used as substrate.

Another killie technique is to use sphagnum moss as a substrate.
(Sphagnum is picked live and dried whereas peat is dead, decomposing
material.)  The moss formes a layer on the bottom several inches deep.
Plant spawning killies, such as Rivulus and Aphyosemions, will breed in it
and it also provides cover for the females.

It occured to me that this could simulate the affect of leaf litter for
Apistos.  Anyone try this or have comments?

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson