Re: Nitrogen Cycle in low pH

rvitko@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> It should also be noted that biological filtration (for ammonia) is
> virtually useless in tanks with pH values below 5.5. The
> bacteria shut down (possibly die) at the low values we use in black
> water breeding tanks. ?????
>
> Bacteria cause ulcers in the human stomach pH 2.0. The above statement
> is completely untrue, take a nitrate reading in an old blackwater tank,
> how did that get their if the bacteria are all dead. The nitrogen cycle
> at worst becomes non nitrosomonas/nitrobacter dependent.  With billions
> of strains of bacteria you can bet someone is in their doing something!

Folks,

I agree with the 2nd paragraph...........I have no scientific data to understand
or back up what I'm going to say but the following is going on in 10-15 of my
tanks.  In the breeding of apistos I have lowered the pH on many of the
varieties down into the range of 4.0 -  5.0 and the tanks have been existing for
5-6 months, and the fish are thriving and breeding.  If there is no filtration
going on then what is "filtering" my water........I have a "Hydro-Sponge" in
each of the tanks and that's all!

I had heard that tale of filtration and pH quite a long time ago.  Then in my
conversations with some of the "big boys" of Apistos they were telling stories
of pH's in the 4 range and I thought they were nuts because the whole system
would crash..........it doesn't.  I'm not a scientist........I'm just a hobbiest
that believes in observation and repetition and trading of
information................lower that pH folks.......you'll be glad you did with
apistos

Have a great day!

Mike