Re: Peat filtration.

ProfPhilo@aol.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> thanks for all the imput on my previous inquiries, this list is great!
>
> In a previous email it was said that one should boil peat for 15 min
> before
> using.
> I am thinking about using peat in one of my tanks and wondered why
> this was.

Boiling drives the air out of the peat and makes it sink. I don't know
that 15 minutes would be enough time to get the peat I use to sink. Some
might be damper and take less time than the stuff I have available. I
microwave it instead...in water of course...for 30 minutes. Then let it
cool.

> Is it to release toxins? or to break down the peat somehow?

In all likelyhood there would be no appreciable breakdown in 15 minutes
(or even my 30 minute microwave routine. There would need to be more
heat applied (longer and maybe hotter) to have much effect on bacteria
etc.

> What happens if you don't boil it?

It will float.

> will it not work?

It will make a mess.

> I was under the impression that you just got the stuff wet and put it
> in the
> filter (in a mesh bag etc..)

I use a nylon stocking...it hangs in a corner of the tank.

> How long does it take for the pH to drop after filtering with peat?

With our water...next day generally...drops for a few and then
stableizes.
Take care,
Jim

--