Oily film

Jason,

	The oily film, from my understanding, is a result of the reaction
between excess colloids produced by fish and plants and the pH and
hardness of the water.  It does seem to unexplainably go away after
several months (probably a bacteria or microoorganism consumes it) but
be warned I have had it suffocate an aquarium which used sponge filters
and a powerhead placed to far below the surface to aggitate the film.
You can get rid of it if you have an Eheim cannister filter by using
their Surface Sludge Extractor a pretty cool device and it works very
well.