Re: newbie needs help -Reply

In a message dated 10/15/98 8:11:39 PM, William_Vannerson@ama-assn.org writes:

<<I'm not an expert on using peat, but my understanding is that the more
you use, the more frequent you should make water changes.  The toxity
of amonia is worse.

This is actually backwards. Insofar as the peat reduces the pH, the toxicity
of ammonia is reduced.  However, the rate at which the nitrogen cycle operates
is also reduced.  The danger lies in making water changes with water that is
appreciably higher in pH.  If enough water is changed to raise the pH any
ammonia present will become more toxic.  The greater the raise in pH, the
greater amount of ammonia will be converted to its toxic form (NH4+ to NH3 for
those of you keeping score at home).  To forestall problems, frequent SMALL
water changes would be best, or you could treat the replacement water with
peat in a garbage can,etc., before adding it to the tanks.