Re: AAAhqualog

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/16/98 1:37:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:
>
> > Anyone hazard a guess on the name of the fish on p. 36, bottom row left
> >  (S033538-4)? I've never seen such a well developed "ring" around the tail
> >on A. gephyra.
> >
> I don't know! But it reminds me of a fish that I just got. A.sp.
> gephyra/pulchra.

Hmm. Sounds like the supplier is hedging his bets. I personally don't think it's
A. gephyra and it definitely isn't A. pulchra (It doesn't have any trim on the
tail, just a lot of spots.). To me it looks like some weird oval tailed A.
agassizii, possibly an undescribed species.

> Which also reminds me in turn that You and Marco Lacerda  are
> writing something about this fish for the Buntbarsche Bulletin,

No, the fish Marco & I wrote about is an entirely different species that we call
the Red-fin Rio Xingu. It has a wide, but still spade shaped tail with a lace like
pattern similar to A. pulchra's. Depending on the color form, the tail, dorsal, &
anal fins can be rimmed in bright red-orange of pale ice blue.

> and being fairly new to the hobby I have NO idea how to get copies of this!
> Could you
> let me know?

The best and easiest way is to join the American Cichlid Association. Once it's
published you can buy the journal. It will be sold as an item from back sales.

> >  What's the ID of the fish shown on p. 48, 3rd row left (S03665-3)?
>  A. hongsloi

Correct! You noticed the red color on the root of the tail and the base of the
anal fin?

> >  What's the ID of the fish shown on p. 50, top row left (S03675-4 Male)?
>  A. viejita

Nope. The spotted pattern says A. guttata, but the black edging on the tail is
like that on A. hoignei. It says its a domestic bred fish. For all I know it might
be a cross between A. guttata & A. hoignei, two very closely related species.

> I agree with you that nobody else seems interested. (I don't understand it!!)
> I've learned more in the past few days than I have in months.
>
> Thanks for answering my posts!! Tell me to shut up any time you've had
> enough!!

Anyone asking sincere questions, I answer. And there are no dumb questions if
sincerely asked. (must be the teacher in me).

> pp47 & 48,  I'm confused about all the macmasteri photos. L&S give  it a
> rounded caudal, B&M give it a truncated caudal. and Aqualog gives both (even
> lyre), except for pp 48, left hand column, bottom 2, S03665-3 (A. hongsloi)
> and S03677-3, which both have rounded.

A. macmasteri is one of those species that can develop any of these. Young males
all start out with round tails and as they grow it becomes more squared off. Only
big tank raised males develop extensions on the tail (open or broad lyretail).

Mike Wise
Archives"!