Re: Peat filtration.(tangent)

Frauley/Elson wrote:

> MICHAEL SERPA wrote:
> >
> > K & D martin wrote:
> > >
> > > oK, I went to the walmart adn bought a bag of Canadian Peat Moss, which is
> > > shredded up dark brown pieces, is this the right stuff or should we be using
> > > spagnum, the stuff that is still slightly green and is more mossy like?
> >
> >         The green mossy stuff is NOT spaghnum moss. It's called
> >         sheet moss and it's harvested from trees, rocks and the
> >         forest floor. DON"T put it in your aquarium.
> >
> >         Canadium peat is spaghnum peat and the right stuff to use.
> >
> >         Michael
> >
> Hi Michael and all,
> I do have to disagree, although it's a tangent. You can buy spaghnum
> moss that hasn't made it to the peat stage. I think it's sold for
> orchids. It's neat stuff in its own right. It radically reduces
> hardness, and while I've never kept apistos in it, I've seriously
> considered it. The problem is it breaks down in warmer water. A 6-7cm
> layer on the bottom of a killie or tetra tank can have amazing results
> at 21-22c. I've spawned (and maintained) blue gularis, Neolebias
> ansorgii and Neolebias powelli in such tanks, for months. All these fish
> produced fry in their maintenance tanks.
> I've balked at using it with Apistos because of temperatures and the
> fact neolebias and sjoedesti are swamp fish, so seem to tolerate any
> pollutants. Some day though, I'll have an extra young pair of something
> and I'll give it a shot.
> -Gary

	Sorry Gary, but we're talking about two intirely different animals!
	The spaghnum sold for orchids is New Zealand spaghnum that is harvested
	alive and dried and bleached. There is some coming in from Tasmania
that
	in some cases will start to grow if not fertilized and the water is
good.
	There is also some bogus *NZ spaghnum* that actually comes from Chile.
	It's crap!

	The green moss I've been refering to ISN"T spaghnum. It dosen't belong
	in an aquarium and if you want your orchids to grow well, don't use it.

	I have 10,000 orchids growing in NZ and Tasmanian spaghnum and it must
	dry a little between watering to insure longevity.  Keeping it
submerged
	in an aquarium will cause it to break down rather quickly.

	Michael

--
Michael Serpa * Bay Island Orchids
2311 Pacific Avenue * Alameda, CA 94501