Re: Aaaqualog cont.

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> It seems that people want to keep going...GOOD!!!
> I'm finding it really hard to differentiate between A. mendezi & A.
> paucisquamis.
> eg. pp51 left column 4th down S03695-3 and pp54 right column 4th down
> S03770-3.
> The only differences I see are a difference in dorsal height and that the A
> paucisquamis has rows of spots on its caudal.But the other mendezi have spots
> too.

Römer list the major differences between the two as being that A. mendezi has a
shorter lower jaw (compare pictures), 3-4 narrower abdominal stripes (A.
paucisquamis has only one broad stripe), has a complete set of caudal peduncle
scales typical of apistos (A. paucisquamis = few scales, has fewer scales in this
area) and A. mendezi never has even, vertical rows of spots on the tail. A.
mendezi grow larger, too. Live specimens of A. paucisquamis have shiny bands
bordering above & below the lateral band.

Mike Wise