Re: AAAhqualog

Ken,

A. sp. Blue-head has the tail pattern of A. luelingi, that's for certain. It's such a
poorly posed photo that it's hard to tell, but it looks like the anal fin has only 3
spines (A. luelingi usually has 4). It doesn't show extended anterior dorsal lappets
either, but this might be a young fish. The female has a caudal spot, something A.
luelingi females normally don't show. It probably is A. luelingi, but I can't be sure
from these photos. On the other hand, I wonder if the editors put the wrong photo on the
page for A. caetei (Blue-head).

Mike Wise

p.s. Do you think you could take your book to you work station? It sure would be great
to have more than one opinion on some of these fish. The last thing I want is to have
someone not answer for fear of making an error in ID. We all blow it sometime
(especially me).