RE: Peruvian Fish

Peter,

I've successfully kept and spawned A. panduro as a trio (one male and two
females) in a 90 gallon, lightly stocked community tank.

Cheers,

Keith Kurko
kkurko@email.msn.com

I managed to order some Apistos through a local store from a Peruvian
exporter.  Being the only small cichlid enthusiast in the country (I feel
like a member of Gary Larsonīs Didnīt-Like-Dances-with-Wolves-Club), I was
"forced" to order the minimum amount (gulp) per species, as they donīt sell
small groups.
When God wants to punish you, He grants you your wishes.
The species are A. nijsseni, A. pandurini, A. sp. Sunset (A. atahualpa ?)
and Apistogrammoides.
Although theyīre all gorgeous species, I understand that particularly these
Apistogramma are difficult and aggressive.  Iīd appreciate any advice on
housing during quarantine to reduce losses.
>From what Iīve read, A. nijsseni and A. pandurini should be (or are mostly
being) kept in pairs.
Searching the archives I found a message that mentions Uwe Romer keeping A.
sp Sunset successfully in "colonies."  The same search yielded comments
that this species is monogamous, aggressive and suicidal.  Great.  I feel
like I got myself a blind date with a beautiful psychopath.  I would be
gratefull for any hints on housing these.

Peter
plasticolor@guate.net

Archives"!