Re: New Fish Room -Reply

>Unfortunately, my plumbing arrangement in the basement won't allow for
>a sink in the same room (unless I want to rent a jackhammer to install a
>new drain line.  But I will be putting a sink in the basment and I will be
>installing a kitchen counter top next to and perpendicular to it.  I'm
>going to
>install the counter top at a hieght equal to the top of the sink.  This will
>give ne a good wwork ssurface for tanks and such.  FWIW, the counter
>is also were my fermentors will be when I'm brewing a batch of
>homebrew!

Good idea, I might have the same situation and I'd rather have the counter
near the sink than in the fish room. A refrigerator will have to sub for
the fermentor!

>The fishroom/workshop (Oh! Did i forget to mention that this will be my
>workshop too!) does have the house sump pump in the corner.  This will
>at least protect me from accidental water spills.  I'm also considering
>using it as a drain for waste water, but I'm sure this is a good idea,
>espacially in the winter.
>
>Any thoughts?

I'd say this depends on how hard the winters are and where the sump pump
plumbing exits. My parents' old house in Pennsylvania had the washing
machine water go to a sump pump which exited to a drainage ditch 50 yards
from the house. There would be a a little ice floe at the exit when the
temperature dropped below 20F for any period of time but the pipes
(underground plastic) never froze shut.

>>>- I would also love to figure out a good cheap way to be able to slide
>the tanks out of racks to clean them.<<
>
>Empty tanks or full tanks?  I can't think of a cheap way to handle full
>tanks.

Full would be good, but it seems you'd need industrial strength rollers to
do it. Another idea is just stagger the tanks on a rack but that doesn't
look as nice.

-Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com